I sit on the floor

I sit on the floor
where I should not be
but I'm still dizzy
after 70 years

I fell from the belfry
they were waging war
the tower collapsed
and I with it

They put back the tower
they rebuilt the church
a new peal of bells
now rings out for sure

I sit on the floor
and remember those days
men fighting dying
people fleeing away

For months after, I was alone
not a soul round about
until the boys from West Riding
drove the evil away

They rebuilt the bridge
the one that was too far
in those dark September days
in fact there are three here now

I sit on the floor
and hear the new bells ring out
the city is buzzing
and this old bell is content

Photo: I sit on the floor where I should not be but I'm still dizzy after 70 years I fell from the belfry they were waging war the tower collapsed and I with it They put back the tower they rebuilt the church a new peal of bells now rings out for sure I sit on the floor and remember those days men fighting dying people fleeing away For months after, I was alone not a soul round about until the boys from West Riding drove the evil away They rebuilt the bridge the one that was too far in those dark September days in fact there are three here now I sit on the floor and hear the new bells ring out the city is buzzing and this old bell is content

No comments:

Post a Comment