Barbara - 6

That snowy day in January
Two years ago just now
As light faded over the Minch
and darkness lay over Stornoway

I entered your abode
once more
as I had done for
many a year

The years were
becoming unkind to you
although I did not properly
notice

Soon enveloped once more
in your kindness
and all that endeared you
to me

As 2019 unfurled
you fought on relentlessly
against the ravages
of old age

But by autumn time
time was called
for an undetermined length
as yet

I watched you fade
having to give up
what was once
dear to you

Fading from the
downstairs parts
of your home
of many years

Until you left
as the sun rose
and within its light
you had gone

A new year
has commenced
without you
to light it up

On I shall go
without your light
to guide me
but on I shall go

No comments:

Post a Comment